Sunday 4 February 2007

On the road again.

Long time no blog...sorry! Friday saw us taking Russell into Alexandra Infant School in Kingston-on-Thames. It was an event organised by Liz's cousin Mel, whom Liz had last seen at the age of eight and who now sits on the School's board of Governors.
The event consisted of two full events to large groups of children between the ages of 4 and 7 and two readings for nursery classes - all packed into one morning!
Now, being a Night Owl rather than a Morning Lark I find that it takes me a while to get into my day, and an early morning start always seems to find me struggling to get a rythmn. But after a stuttering start we all seemed to have enormous fun, and word came back after the morning break that the children's verdict on the first event was that they thought it all " Fantabulosy!!!!" which apparently is good. The whole morning was wonderful fun, and it always intrigues me how no two events are ever the same. A ten minute reading of 'Russell the Sheep' to a nursery class became a clash of three versions of the story. My version, for what it was worth, and two alternatives offered up by two very 'chatty' little girls (they actually knew the story better than me). They also wanted to tell me how I could improve the story. One of the girls pointed out that maybe it was a little silly for a sheep to try and sleep in a tree, and on a very small branch at that. Fair point! So I asked her if she thought a talking sheep was maybe a little silly. She looked at me sternly and said "Of course it isn't!"
The next little girl kept a hand in the air for a little while before I dared enquire what it was she wanted to ask. "I know how Russell could have got to sleep much sooner," she said. "Why didn't you just draw him with his eyes closed at the beginning."
Fantabulous!!!
Thanks Mel, Chris, David, Isabel and Zoe for looking after us and all the Staff and kids of Alexandra Infants School for a wonderful morning. I look forward to visiting again very soon.

2 comments:

shawnajctenney.blogspot.com said...

How fun! Don't children say the funniest things?! Love your illustrations, Rob, they inspire me. Keep up the fantabulous work!

kunal kundu said...

Hi Rob! I saw your 'Russell the Sheep' book at a friend's place yesterday and I was really inspired by the mind blowing illustrations!! Came here through google, so just wanted to say hi.....
Keep creating such beauties!